Have You Heard of Kinesio Taping®?
When you come in for a physiotherapy treatment, you might have been offered Kinesio taping®, and you might wonder how does that actually work? In the following paragraphs, we will give you a brief explanation of that.
1) Increase lymphatic flow, reduce pain and swelling
Our soft tissues might be inflamed as a result of a trauma or injury. Fluid will then rush to the injured site causing localized swelling. Kinesio tape® has its elastic qualities. By applying the tape directly over the injured site, it lifts the skin, thereby creating a decreased pressure over the area. The decreased pressure reduces the amount of irritation, hence decreases pain. Furthermore, applying the Kinesio tape® following the lymphatic drainage could aid in the removal of excess fluid, which decreases swelling. Kinesio tape® also works to stimulate the sensory receptors in the skin, which can aid in decreasing pain demonstrated by the gate control theory.
2) Fascia correction
Using tension in the Kinesio Tape® to hold or assist the fascia, in order to align the connective tissue into the desired position.
3) Facilitate a weak muscle
Apply the Kinesio tape® from the muscle’s origin to insertion could aid the contraction of a muscle. Therefore, it helps to reduce muscle fatigue.
4) Inhibit a tight muscle
Applying the Kinesio tape® from the muscle’s insertion to origin could encourage elongation of a muscle, thereby helping the muscle to relax.
Few general principles of Kinesio Taping®
1) After taping, the tape can be left on your skin for 3-5 days, and you can shower or bathe with the tape on.
2) Be sure not to use a hair dryer to dry the tape as the tape is heat sensitive. Doing this can cause the tape to adhere too aggressively to the skin.
3) Remove the tape immediately if there is any skin irritation or sensitivity.
4) The skin needs to rest for at least 24 hours before applying Kinesio tape to the same area.
Reference: Kenzo Kase, & Stockheimer, K. R. (2006). Kinesio taping® for lymphoedema and chronic swelling. Kinesi USA, LLC.
The post is not supposed to replace any medical advice. If you are experiencing any pain, please consult a therapist as soon as possible. You may contact us or make an appointment at 905-771-8882 or firstname.lastname@example.org, we are more than happy to help!